on experience and wisdom ...

It is ironic to be writing about this on a Friday night I suppose, as it is one of the preferred nights to party rather but here I go anyhow as it will be read on another day :)

I grew up not drinking nor smoking nor using drugs as I was taught by my religion and parents; I always thought it was such an easy thing to do, to refrain myself from all of these substances. As I grew older I found myself still not ingesting any substance that would alter my state, including coffee (though I must admit to love the aroma of it as it brings memories of my beloved grandmother and the afternoon cafecitos that she shared with us kids after a mandatory nap). 

Later on in life I found myself defending this concept, this idea of no substances left and right. As I moved to North America and got involved in the restaurant/bar business I even thought more and more about it. I had to defend more and more my position, I have even tasted some of it just to say I don't like it either (from a simple taste/utilitarian perspective.) I thought for years that I was alone as an LDS with all these crazy ideas of what we call "The Word of Wisdom" which is a law of health rather. It was years later that I recall talking to a good friend who is a Muslim and he explained to me his believes on respect to what we should call "dietary laws", he quoted Qu'an, Surah 5 (al-Ma'idah), ayah 90 and proceeded to explain why Islam prohibits the use of intoxicants. That's some more allies I thought! we mormons are not alone on this idea! I must not b crazy nor alone on this, it is making more and more sense, the concept was starting to sound rather widely accepted. But both of these religions are often accused of being extremist so I wasn't done with my research about finding if this principle is common to many or all religions. I found dietary rules in Judaism that includes the consumption of alcohol (a view that the responsibility of moderating alcohol consumption is a trustworthiness never to be abused), in Christianity (though the views vary from moderation to abstention, to prohibition).

To my amazement I found my final sense of commonality and understanding with my dearly beloved teachings of the enlightened one, even the Buddha himself; The Fifth Precept of Buddhism, translated from the Pali Canon states: "I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented and distilled intoxicants which are the basis for heedlessness." Bingo!

Let's examine the "Principles" behind:

1. To live in a progressive way, forward, in the pathway of enlightenment, on the way to eternal life or as you may want to call it, requires a direct and intimate experiencing of life, anything different is of no use in this progress, in this path.
2. The act of intoxication is bringing something into yourself with the intent to manipulate that experience. 
3. These something, or substances that "alter" our experience can be anything from coffee, alcohol, drugs, pills, a piece of gum, tobacco, sex, sleep, power, fame, and even food.
4. Even the more "liberal" thoughts from Jewish scholars, or Christian groups or Islamics or Buddhists agree that "worshiping/meditating/praying or anything of the like that has to do with the Universe or  the supreme being/God cannot and should not be done under the influence of any intoxicant/substance but rather from the free will of our hearts and with a clean body (yes, even showered.)
5. There is an addictive nature in all intoxicants.

The begging question is still after all these potent arguments, but why? First I wanted to understand what this word "heedlessness" meant. The dictionary describes it as inconsiderate, indifferent, unconcerned, thoughtless. Is this why we should control our use of substances? I suppose no one likes those words to be described as one's personality, therefore this could be a good beginning.

Ultimately all of these "laws" do not prohibit anyone from doing anything nor will it stop no one nor impede, nor do they specify to the dot what to eat, how to eat it, and where, but rather are words of wisdom, for us all to examine and determine, as a good friend of mine did, what is our relationship with each and everyone of these substances; She took upon herself to determine these relationships; I am certain it wasn't easy but it is clear to me that real spiritual/intellectual insight is not gained in a day, nor through substances, there's no quick-fix route to this, to knowledge, not through a pill or any drug but rather through daily efforts over time.

In our consumption oriented society it is a very hard thing to even consider, our relationship to substances, any and all of them; are we living our experiences or are we altering them? The intent of our consumption becomes a determining issue, why do I consume these substances? I want to experience my life to its full extent, that's why I want to review my relationship with any and all substances and go from there.

"Complete abstinence is easier than perfect moderation" St. Agustine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

on separation ...

on that acquired taste ...

on my favourite vacation and dream land ...